Some of the finest compositions ever written are works for piano solo and orchestra. Regrettably, few pianists ever have the opportunity to experience the joy of playing one of these great works with an actual orchestra and a collaborating conductor.
Despite the lack of performance opportunity, there is no lack of available literature from the relatively easy Concertini and Divertimenti of Franz Joseph Haydn to the titanic works of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Sergei Rachmaninoff.
Home Concert Xtreme, combined with:
- a technology-equipped piano (i.e. a piano with MIDI output),
- a properly formatted and musically edited MIDI file, and
- a high quality tone generator
can provide a wonderful, substitute environment for learning, practicing, and even performing these works. With the MIDI file serving as the score and the tone generator serving as the orchestra, Home Concert Xtreme functions as the conductor who will follow your playing.
The Stellar MIDI File Collection
These MIDI files were created by Dr. Stella Sick for use with Home Concert Xtreme. They include tracks for piano right hand and piano left hand as well as for all of the various orchestral parts.
The orchestral tracks have been expertly interpreted for playback with a software tone generator called Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO 4), which is available from MakeMusic. The piano tracks are included solely for score display and score-following.
Use Home Concert Xtreme’s Perform mode to have an interactive performance experience with a virtual orchestra!
The following pieces are available in the TimeWarp store:
- J. S. Bach: Concerto in A Major, BWV 1055
- J. S. Bach: Concerto in D Major, BWV 1054
- J. S. Bach: Concerto in D Minor, BWV 1052
- J. S. Bach: Concerto in F Minor, BWV 1056
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 37
- Franz Joseph Haydn: Concertino C Major, Hob. XIV:3
- Franz Joseph Haydn: Concerto D Major, Hob. XVIII:11
- Franz Joseph Haydn: Divertimento in C Major, Hob. XIV:4
- Felix Mendelssohn: Concerto No.1 in G Minor, Op. 25
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Concerto No. 20 in D Minor, K.466
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Concerto No. 23 in A Major, K.488
Coming this fall:
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Concerto No. 12 in A Major, K.414
- Edvard Grieg: Concerto in A Minor, Op. 16
- Robert Schumann: Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54
Looking for a concerto that you don’t see in this list? Send us your request!
In order to give customers an immediate taste of the concerto experience, TimeWarp provides four concerto MIDI files for use with Home Concert Xtreme and an General MIDI (GM) tone generator:
Franz Joseph Haydn: Concertino C Major, Hob. XIV:3
1. Allegro moderato
3. Allegro di molto
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Concerto No. 20 in D Minor, K.466
It is important to note that the quality of General MIDI sounds cannot compete with the sounds of Garritan Personal Orchestra which is mentioned above.
Piano Concerto MIDI Files on the Internet
There is an enormous number of piano concerto MIDI files that are freely downloadable on the Internet. They vary considerably in terms of quality. From time to time, we’ll highlight some of the better ones here.